Thursday, December 21, 2006

What Day? What Dream?

What just happened?

MH and I talked ourselves into getting the Christmas tree. TODAY. The good news is, all the bound little tree-bodies in the tent were actually fresh and juicy. We were perfectly late - perfect for the discounts. But still not convinced that we needed to do this. Anyway, it is hosed down and bug-sprayed and safely indoors now.

I tell my daughter, the price of the miracle tree is that you must be an angelic being of happiness and light for as long as it is up this year. Ha.ha.ha.ha.

BAM! She has just switched retail jobs, and seems oddly lighter about being out of Bloomies. Must let go, must let go, just let go.

And now for the nightmare of it all: our new best friends, the roofers, have informed us that the cost of replacing our storm-ravaged roof is $36,000. But, this guy likes us. He's a former special-ed teacher and totally into the therapy I do. Anyway, he's best friends with public adjustors and so he feels convinced we shall prevail. PLUS he mortared up the worst of the leaks, so maybe for Christmas we can put the drip-buckets away.

But here's the amazing news. For the first time in 27 years of working, and the first time in 3 marriages, I have a husband whose job is providing ME benefits. ME! First time ever! Good-bye, Blue Cross Blue Shield FL at $1600/month directly out of my pocket. Hello..... kept woman. A husband who is capable of providing for me. I've got nothing left to prove - I've been providing for my daughter and me all these 19 years... Wow. Time to hand over the reins. I'm going to grad school and he can drive the bus!

Tomorrow, back to work on the grad school stuff and planning out the weekend festivities (and cooking plan). I don't have 26 kinds of cookies. But I do have home-made baked stuffed lobster on tap for Christmas Eve. Latkes for Christmas Day, after the movies, and we've got both sides covered.

Meantime, my daughter is up at her boyfriend's tonight and we have the house blissfully to ourselves! Doors open and all the noise we want to make! Woo hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home